MICHAEL DALE LONG
I am a veteran game programmer with over 10 years of industry experience, and a passion to make great games and have fun in the process.
- High proficiency in C/C++ and Python, experience with PHP, Perl, Ruby, Scheme, UnrealScript and Assembly.
- Experience directing and mentoring junior programmers.
- Capable of determining technical requirements and providing schedule estimates for project planning.
- Development experience with PC, Dreamcast, Playstation2, Xbox, Xbox 360, and iOS.
- Experience using and administrating various development related servers.
- Experience working Quake 2, Quake 3, Unreal Warfare, and Doom 3 codebases.
||Human Head Studios, Inc.
November 2004 to Present
Programmer, Lead Programmer
- Involved with four projects during this time, including Prey and Prey 2.
- Lead Programmer on two of those projects.
- Responsibilities include managing a team of gameplay programmers.
- Programmed AI, animation control system, save/load, Xbox 360 support, and file package system code.
- Designed and implemented server infrastructure, including e-mail, VPN, and network storage systems.
- Supervised development of new player movement, AI navigation, weapon, and gadget systems for Prey 2.
- Worked with small cross-discipline team to flesh out and implement behaviors for character design in Prey.
- Wrote Prey installer using InstallShield and managed packaged builds of Prey.
- Handled Prey patches, including scheduling releases with multiple parties.
June 2003 to November 2004
- Worked on a new game engine for an unreleased title for PC, Xbox, and Playstation 2.
- Implemented a 3D sound system for our internal engine using the FMOD library.
- Developed preliminary AI framework and prototype game AI for our internal engine.
- Deployed and maintained a Linux server to host a Subversion repository and a GForge project tracker.
Majesco Sales, Inc.
May 2000 to March 2003
- Part of internal development team that ported Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear to the Sega Dreamcast.
- Also ported Soldier of Fortune and Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force to the Sony Playstation2.
- Localized the Playstation2 versions of Soldier of Fortune and Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force for the European market.
- Maintained Linux servers to handle mail, secure web servers, and firewall for Internet access.
Graduated May 2000
B.A. in Computer Science (Major GPA: 3.71/4.00)
Overall GPA: 3.26/4.00
DIY Tablet Computer
I am designing a do-it-yourself tablet computer that, when finished, will run Android as well as any touch-screen friendly Linux distribution. I am currently experimenting with a Beagleboard-xM motherboard and am researching LCD/touchscreen solutions that are compatible with the Beagleboard.
Perthion is an 2D game engine I have been developing in my spare time over the last few years. Developed in Python, Perthion enables rapid prototyping of various game concepts that interest me. Perthion runs on Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and standard distributions of Linux, as well as on iOS devices.
Crystal Space is an Open Source 3D engine project which I contributed to on a regular basis while attending Indiana University. Many of my basic skills, proficiency with C++, ability to learn unfamiliar codebases quickly, and ability to work well on a programming team all come from my experience working with Crystal Space.